Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Let Me Tall Ya 'Bout My Best Friend

Did anyone else think of this song when they read my title? 

Since my blog is brand-spanking new I thought I'd fill you guys in on a big part of my life. My friends!! I have been blessed with the best friends in the world. Not kidding, it takes some pretty great people to put up with me! But there is one friend in particular that has had to deal with me for the longest time (18 years) and that would be my friend Laura.


This great little friendship started when my family moved into the house across the street from Laura's family. Now, before I get to the day we met, let me give you some background info. When I was little my mother had no idea how to dress me, or do my hair. I wound up wearing my older cousins hand-me-downs, and had a mushroom cut hairstyle so she didn't have to deal with it (Thanks Ma!) It's okay I forgave her eventually ;)

So, the day I met Laura I was walking over to her house with my parents and she was in the driveway with her mom. She looked over at her mom and goes "Mom, is that a boy who moved in?" And that's where it all began... 

Our first family vacation to Adventureland in Des Moines, Iowa! (Notice the lovely hair)

Ever since that day our families have been really great friends. We have been on multiple vacations: The Ozarks, Adventureland, a cruise to the Bahamas, skiing in Colorado, Lewis and Clark Lake, and have spent numerous weekends together hanging out at our lake just having fun. It has been so great to have such an amazing family living across the street from us for almost my entire life.  I have been so lucky to not only have the greatest parents in the world, but also a second set of amazing parents right across the street. They have been there for me just as much as my parents have, and have supported me through everything in my life. I just love their family so. dang. much! 

Laura and I and our Momma's at DG Mom's day 2011

Some of my favorite times with Laura have been spent hanging out at each other's houses. We would spend all summer eating her parents' food and playing Mario Party while her mom would yell at us to go play outside in the lake! One summer we watched the movie Twister literally every single day. The funny thing is, we both wanted to watch it! We have also been known to have some EPIC dance parties together, usually in the middle of our driveways for the entire neighborhood to watch (no shame what so ever)!

My Junior Prom

When I left to go to college in Topeka it was so hard leaving my best friend! The day she told me she was coming to Washburn the next year was such a great day! I was so excited to show her around and of course to get her into my sorority! Then she told me she was going into the same program as me and that made me smile even more :)  It is so great seeing my best friend enjoy the profession we are going into just as much as I do, and I know she is going to be amazing when she is finished with school! 

DG Love at the Husker game!

Like I said, Laura has been my best friend since I was 4 years old (that is 18 years!) and we have more of a bond as sisters than best friends. We get on each other's nerves all the time, fight when we spend too much time together, cry together when one of us is having a rough time, get into crazy shenanigans, and give each other advice (even if it's not what the other wants to hear at the time).  I have no clue how I would have gotten through some things in my life without her and am so lucky to have her as my best friend! 

Spring Break in Cancun! 


Who do you turn to when you need a shoulder to cry on or need someone to knock some sense into you?





No comments:

Post a Comment