Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Where were you?

Yesterday it hit me that today was the 12th anniversary of 9/11. How could it be 12 years already? I was taken aback that I hadn't heard anything about the 9/11 anniversary coming up. This was a huge catastrophe that happened to our country, how could people just act like it's just another day? I'm afraid this day is going to get lost in history, kind of like Pearl Harbor (Dec. 7th).  It's crazy to think that many kids in school weren't alive for this tragic day, and only know what they can find in history books, or newspapers. 



When I hear September 11th this picture instantly comes to my mind. Then I begin to reflect on that tragic day. 

It seemed like just an ordinary day. I was sitting in Mr. Ahrens' 5th grade classroom working on math homework, surrounded by my classmates when all of a sudden our 2nd grade teacher came into the classroom with tears in her eyes. She said "Darrin, you need to watch this, one of the Twin Towers has been hit." I remember thinking "What's a Twin Tower? Hit by what? What's going on?" They wheeled one of our TV's in and we sat watching the events unfold in NYC. After a while Mr. Ahrens told us to get back to work, that everything being shown were just replays now. A couple minutes later I turned around to check out what was going on and saw a second plane hitting the second tower. I said "Um, Mr. Ahren's? I think the other tower just got hit." I remember him telling me I was wrong and it was just a replay of the first attack, but soon realized I was right. Later on in the day we were sent outside for recess. I remember sitting outside wondering if we were safe. Every plane we heard made me want to run to my house, where my parents would protect me. I have never felt so scared and helpless before! Once the school bus took me home I called my mom in tears. I remember telling her "Mom, so many people have died." "Mom, how could somebody do this?" She explained the situation the best she could, and really comforted me, even when she was miles away on a business trip! Before I went to bed that night I remember saying a prayer for all the life's lost that day, and praying to got nothing else would happen to my country ever again. 

I woke up thinking about this day, then I began thinking about all of the kids, wives, husbands, parents, and friends, who had to wake up thinking about the life, or lives lost on this day 12 years ago, and just couldn't stop thinking about this all day long. I grieve for these people, and know there will never be a time where they hear the date September 11th and don't mourn for their loss. 

I hope this day will never be forgotten. There were so many life's lost because of this tragic day. Remembering this day has made me appreciate all the things I have been blessed with, and I hope it has been a great reminder for everyone else as well! 




What do you first think of when you hear the date September 11?

What were you doing when you found out about the attacks?

Did you do anything in remembrance of this day?

No comments:

Post a Comment