Blog Archive

Thursday, October 16, 2014

It Takes A Special Kind of Person

I spent the first part of my week down at The University of Kansas Hospital for orientation. As you know, this is my fourth job, so that means I have been to my fair share of orientations. I was not looking forward to it, to say the least! The first two days I sat through the typical orientation presentations, but the third day I got to experience a customer service class. I didn't know what to expect, but I definitely didn't expect the day full of engaging conversation that I got! 

I have already written a post about how I chose the best career in the world! You can read that here if you missed it. But after taking this class I realized why the health care field is so special. I am strange, I love the hospital setting, I always have. Most people look at me so strange when I say this, but let me explain why. In the hospital there are babies born, people who are terminally ill, patients going in for surgery, others in the emergency department, and many people just there for support. In all of these situations most people are not comfortable with the hospital, and do not understand the medical field. This causes anxiety and stress. I have always found the hospital to be an intriguing place. I have always wondered what is going on with the person I passed in the hallways. "Did they just have a baby? Is there Grandpa dying too? What surgery did that person have? Why does that woman look so sad?" I was so excited when I got to start working in the hospital because I finally had some control over these people's experience! I could ask how they were doing without looking like a busy body. I could make them feel better, I could do something for them! 

If you have a second go watch this video. It does a great job of showing all the different emotions that are running around the hospital on a daily basis. It is a great video and really opened my eyes. 




After watching this video I realized how much my patients really depend on me to make them more comfortable. It really hit home why I chose the medical field. People who choose to go into the medical field are there to heal (most times), support, and nurture patients. It truly takes a special kind of person to work in the medical field. From the video you see all of the different emotions we work with! We make the woman waiting for a new heart as comfortable as possible, and try to ease her stress. We provide services to the man who has no idea how he is going to help his wife who just had a stroke. Good medical professionals are the people who are selfless, who make their patients feel like they are the best thing that has happened to them all day. The greatest feeling in the world is when I know I was a little piece of positive in my patient's day. I love joking around with them, hearing their story, or just smiling at them when I know they don't want to talk. 

I think every person in the medical field should have to watch that video. It shows that everyone, not just patients, are going through things. It really made me realize how much a simple smile in the hallways could brighten someone's day! So, if you work in the medical field, or are simply visiting a hospital setting, make it a goal to smile at someone. I dare you to say "Hi." You never know what that simple gesture might do for someone! 

I am so thankful I get to work with some of the most selfless, caring people in the world. I'm going to end this post with a quote I heard yesterday that I think should be plastered all over every medical facility. 

"The patient doesn't care how much you know until they know how much you care."  
Georgo Farha, M.D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment