Blog Archive

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

What's Your Motivation?

Through this whole healthy lifestyle journey I have found from speaking with others, reading various articles, and many life experiences that people need something to motivate them to change their unhealthy habits, or even to keep their healthy ways and not stumble back into their old ways. 

I have had many different motivations over the years. My motivation when I lost 30 pounds a couple of years ago was my spring break trip! It was a great motivator, who wants to be the beached whale around a bunch of hot college kids?! But when we got back I went crazy! Ate what ever I wanted, drank when ever my friends wanted to go out, and forgot how to workout. I found myself at the highest weight I've ever been and had no idea what happened! I blamed it on not having something to motivate me.... Wrong! I've learned I can not use things like a trip, weddings, or other life moments as a motivation because once they are gone then what do I have? 

Some people can use statements like "I want to fit into those pants I used to wear" or "I want to be at such and such weight" as motivators. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me either. I'm tellin' ya... I'm complicated!

The other day I went to the best Group Power class I have ever been to. I was surrounded by a bunch of 60-70 year olds who were lifting weights comparable to mine! I also overheard woman in her mid 60's talking about this hip-hop concert she went to, and then preceded to try out some of the dance moves! It was hilarious! It also made me think, "Wow! I really hope I'm able to have that enthusiasm when I am that age!" It was also such a great class because the group wasn't afraid to get into the class. They were constantly counting down how many more squats, lunges, pushups, etc. that we had to do! They were singing, and dancing, and truly having a great time. 

I left that class more energized than I've ever been after a group fitness class! I realized it is the people around me that motivate me. It's the 60 year old woman I can only hope to be one day. It's the soccer mom who has a million things to do, but makes herself a priority for an hour every day. It's the text I get from my dad that says "I've lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks!" that makes my day! It's my friend from work who stalks myfitnesspal diary and calls me out when I'm not logging everything (thanks girl!) It is my support system that gets me through this constant battle and I can not thank each and every one of you enough for the countless conversations we've had about this topic. I love all of you so much for putting up with me and am so thankful to have such a great team behind me! 

What is your motivation?


No comments:

Post a Comment